Cooking With Sugar Headline Animator

Cooking With Sugar

Bahamian Peas and Rice




























Peas and Rice is arguably the main dietary staple of Bahamians. Here in the Bahamas, we consume it on a daily basis; mainly at lunch and dinner times. Visit any down-home, or even an upscale restaurant here in the Bahamas, and you’re sure to find peas and rice on the menu (on any given day).

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 small onion
  • 1 small sweet pepper
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • Sprig or two of fresh thyme
  • Salt  & pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp browning (optional)
  • 1 large can of regular pigeon peas or pigeon peas in coconut milk
  • 2 cups long grain white rice (uncooked)
  • 3 cups water


Instructions:

  1. Dice onion and sweet pepper
  2. In a hard-bottom pot heat up oil and fry onion and sweet pepper along with the thyme.
  3. Stir in tomato paste, add salt and pepper to taste (and the browning if using).
  4. Add the pigeon peas and stir well, add water and bring to a boil. Season to taste.
  5. Add the rice until it is about an inch and a half below the water line.
  6. Stir well, lower the stove to medium with pot uncovered.
  7. While the pot is simmering, stir at regular intervals.
  8. When the rice has absorbed most of the water, turn the stove to low heat and cover the pot.
  9. Leave to steam until fully cooked.
  10. Enjoy with meat or fish.




9 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this recipe this week. I don't eat meat on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I found you on the Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to make this tonight. We just got back from the Bahamas and our tour guide took us to a place that had local shops and this lady was there and had peas and rice and baked chicken. It was the best food I've ever had.. My kids loved it and they are picky eaters. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just awesome, Bobbie Jo!! Thanks for sharing, glad you and the kids enjoyed the peas and rice. I know they will enjoy yours as well. Keep me posted ♥

      Delete
  3. Hi Sugar, just want to thank you for posting this. My husband recently returned from Nassau after 6 years of living there. And how he is missing so many of the new foods he came to know and love while there. Your blog has so many of them i plan to try them all. But i wanted to ask about sweet potato bread with all its wonderful spices. Might you have a recipe for it.. i look forward to returning to your blog often. Thanks again, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sugar.. I made the peas and rice and we loved it. I think I over cooked the rice.. But it was still yummy. Lol.., one question how do I make it have more of a coconut flavor? Not sure how to do it . I did use 2 cans of coconut milk. I love your recipes and will try every single one :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete